Kone Foundation opens a funding round for initiatives which support the learning of the languages of Finland, the new languages of Finland and multilingualism in a new linguistic situation. The country has recently received many newcomers, for whom local language skills would be an asset. At the same time, their own rich language competencies could be useful for the other inhabitants.
Who can apply, what for, and for which period
Funding can be awarded for the development and distribution of teaching materials, as well as for activities and events, which promote:
- language learning for a broad audience or in clearly defined contexts or domains
- language learning in different groups (e.g., multilinguals – monolinguals; different grades of literacy; youngsters – old people)
- peer support and bidirectional language learning, e.g., activities in which a learner teaches without a formal training
- language learning using different methods, such as art, gamification, etc.
Applications can be submitted by individuals, groups, networks, and institutions. The maximum length of the funding is one year. Funding can be sought both for personal grants, if academic research or artistic work are involved in supporting language learning, or for other expenses. Personal grants for academic reserarch or artistic work are either 2,360 € or 2,700 € per month, depending on the experience of the applicant. The personal monthly grant is intended for fulltime work. Smaller grants for part-time work (25%, 50% or 75% of fulltime work) can also be applied for.
The required attachments are:
- a work plan (max. 3 pages)
- a budget
- CV’s for the main members of the workgroup.
The application period will open on 1 May and close on 23 May at midnight Finnish time (EEST). Submit your application using the online application form at the online application service
The results of the funding call will be made public by the end of June.